Saturday, August 15, 2020

Day Eleven- The Final Push Home


The final day of my adventure was blessed with thick cloud cover this morning which kept temperatures down for my ride from Liberal to just before reaching the Hutchinson area. I celebrated crossing the 5,000-mile mark with lunch and a slice of homemade banana cream pie at the Carriage Crossing Amish restaurant in Yoder, KS. (definitely worth the drive), just south of Hutchinson. I guess it was a good thing I was on my motorcycle or I would have been tempted to load up some of their giant cinnamon rolls and a couple of pies.

After spending most of the previous days riding on winding mountain roads it almost seemed strange to ride in straight lines for mile upon mile.  I did break up the straight roads by routing through Alta Vista to Alma on the Skyline Mill scenic byway, which is the old K-10 Highway.  That stretch of roadway is always a great ride along the valleys and rolling hills. A pleasant reminder that taking the road less traveled can be rewarding. I made it safely home just after 4:00 PM and officially logged 5,213 miles through 11 states for the 2020 challenge. 

It is said the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. Leaving home last Wednesday morning was exciting, but also rewarding was the feeling of rolling back into the driveway today to complete the challenge. I saw the handiwork of God first hand in the beautiful scenery and had a great adventure- all for a good cause. 

Now that the challenge ride is over, there is still time to pledge toward the Starfish fund, just note "2020 Challenge Ride" on the memo section of your check payable to Wanamaker Woods Church.

Thank you to everyone for the donations in support of the Starfish fund and for the many thoughts and prayers for a safe journey.  Farewell, until the next great adventure in 2021.   


 

No comments: